Wednesday anecdote: RVP of Sales successfully changed industries.

“Do you want to stay in the medical device space or are you open to other industries?” I asked a recent client.
“I guess so. It’s what I’ve done for the last 15 years,” he replied. “Do you think I could cross over into other areas?”
Humans are creatures of habit. We stick to what we know because it’s what we know. This particular client asked the same question I’ve heard hundreds of times before. Yes, you can cross over into other areas. But, you must be able to make the case to the people on the other side your skills and experiences are easily transferable.
Employers and recruiters are also creatures of habit. They have the mistaken belief that unless someone has worked in their industry for the last 10 years then they won’t be able to do the job.
Nonsense!
95% of the the skills and knowledge someone needs to do just about any job can be applied in many other industries. The remaining 5% can be learned quickly by a moderately intelligent person who applies themselves.
This RVP of sales knew sales and knew how to build and lead sales teams. Which industry doesn’t need that? We helped him make his case and he successfully made the jump.
Well done!
#endeavoragency #jobsearch #careerdevelopment